Cyber Security News & Trends
Each week, SonicWall collects the cyber security industry’s most compelling, trending and important interviews, media and news stories — just for you.
New post for PNC’s former CCO – Pittsburg Biz Journals (US)
- SonicWall CMO David Chamberlin is featured for his recent appointment to the company following his position as PNC’s former CCO in Pittsburg, Penn.
Foreshadow Vulnerability (L1TF) Introduces New Risks to Intel Processors — SonicWall Blog
- Foreshadow, the latest vulnerability to hit microprocessors, comes from the same family as Spectre. SonicWall customers with Capture Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) sandbox service activated are protected.
Cyber Security News
NIST Small Business Cybersecurity Act Becomes Law – Security Week
- U.S. President Donald Trump signed the NIST Small Business Cybersecurity Act into law on Tuesday (August 14, 2018). It requires NIST to “disseminate clear and concise resources to help small business concerns identify, assess, manage, and reduce their cybersecurity risks.”
Foreshadow and Intel SGX software attestation: ‘The whole trust model collapses’ – The Register
- In the wake of yet another collection of Intel bugs, The Register had the chance to speak to Foreshadow co-discoverer and University of Adelaide and Data61 researcher Dr Yuval Yarom about its impact.
The state of cybersecurity at small organizations – CSO Online
- A research survey of 400 cybersecurity professionals in small organizations, found that SMBs are being compromised due to human error, ignorance and apathy.
U.S. investor sues AT&T for $224 million over loss of cryptocurrency – Reuters
- U.S. entrepreneur and cryptocurrency investor Michael Terpin filed a $224 million lawsuit on Wednesday against telecommunications company AT&T, accusing it of fraud and gross negligence in connection with the theft of digital currency tokens from his personal account.
Cryptojacking attacks: One in three organizations say they’ve been hit with mining malware – ZDNet
- Almost a third of organizations say they’ve been hit by cryptojacking attacks in the last month, as cyber criminals continue their attempts to push malware designed to secretly use processing power to generate cryptocurrency.
Hundreds of Netflix, HBO, DirecTV and Hulu credentials for sale on dark web – SC Magazine
- Hundreds of stolen Netflix, HBO, DirecTV and Hulu accounts found at an average price of $8.81, less than the cost of a monthly subscription for most of the services which range from $7.99 per month for Hulu’s lowest tier plan to $15 per month for HBO Go.
FBI Warns of Cyber Extortion Scam – Dark Reading
- Extortion is a very old crime that’s being given new life in the cyber world. A recent public service announcement from the FBI warns computer users to be on the lookout for threats that use stolen information to tailor extortion demands to specific email addresses.
In Case You Missed It
- Foreshadow Vulnerability (L1TF) Introduces New Risks to Intel Processors — Lawrence Pingree
- July 2018 Cyber Threat Intelligence: Malware, Ransomware Attack Volume Still Climbing — Geoff Blaine
- Upgrade Your SonicWall Next-Generation Firewall with ‘3 & Free’ Program — Steve Pataky
- SonicWall’s Bill Conner, Steve Pataky Honored in CRN Top 100 Executives List for 2018 — Geoff Blaine
- SonicWall’s Consistent Value, Cyber Security Effectiveness Earn ‘Recommended’ Rating from NSS Labs — Atul Dhablania
- What Is SonicWall Partner Enabled Services? — Gary Staff
- SonicWall Leans into Mid-Tier Enterprise Market for Next Phase of Company Growth, Leadership with Expansion of Disruptive Cloud-based Platform — Press Release