Note: Previously, we explained the MITRE ATT&CK framework and how security products are evaluated for detection efficacy and efficiency. Check out these blogs (Part 1 and Part 2) if you haven’t already.
The 2023 MITRE ATT&CK® Evaluations focused on the adversary Turla, a Russia-based threat group active since at least the early 2000s. Turla is known for deploying sophisticated proprietary tools and malware. It has targeted victims in over 45 countries, spanning a range of critical industries and infrastructure such as government agencies, diplomatic missions, military groups, research and education facilities, and media organizations.
But while Turla is unquestionably a formidable adversary, it proved no match for the SentinelOne-powered SonicWall Capture Client, as we’ll explore below.
Understanding MITRE ATT&CK and SonicWall Capture Client
MITRE ATT&CK Evaluations: ATT&CK stands for “Adversarial Tactics, Techniques & Common Knowledge.” It’s designed to be a common language, the components of which are used in endless combinations to describe how threat actors operate. The MITRE Engenuity ATT&CK Evaluations are based on the MITRE ATT&CK knowledge base, a globally accessible repository of threat actor behaviors and techniques observed in real-world cyberattacks. The evaluations provide transparency and insight into how well different cybersecurity solutions can detect and prevent these tactics, as well as how they present relevant information to end users.
SonicWall Capture Client Endpoint Security: SonicWall Capture Client is a cutting-edge endpoint security solution powered by the SentinelOne Singularity platform. It leverages multiple layers of security – including real-time behavior monitoring, anti-ransomware technology and malware prevention – to automatically detect and prevent malicious activity in real time, without relying on signatures, rules or human intervention.
To reduce alert fatigue, Capture Client automatically stitches together related alerts, providing analysts with a full view of detections across all covered attack vectors correlated into several incidents.
Capture Client’s built-in, autonomous EDR provides automation and orchestration capabilities for rapid response and remediation actions. What’s more, Capture Client’s synergy with the rest of the SonicWall platform allows for increased visibility and protection both on and off the network.
The 2023 MITRE ATT&CK Evaluations
The 2023 MITRE ATT&CK Evaluations emulated Turla to test 30 cybersecurity vendors on their ability to detect and respond to an advanced real-world threat. Evaluation results are available on the official website, where you can view and compare the test data of each vendor across 143 sub-steps that represent the attack sequence of Turla. You can also filter the results by different criteria, such as detection type, telemetry type, platform or technique.
The test data consists of three main categories:
- Visibility: Evaluates whether the vendor was able to detect a specific sub-step of the attack sequence and what type of telemetry (e.g., process, file, registry, network) was used to provide that detection. The higher the visibility score, the more sub-steps were detected by the vendor.
- Analytic Quality: Evaluates the quality of the detection analytics (e.g., rules, signatures, models) used to identify a specific sub-step of the attack sequence. The analytic quality score ranges from 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest) based on criteria such as specificity, relevance, timeliness, accuracy and completeness. The higher the analytic quality score, the better the detection analytics were at capturing the adversary’s behavior.
- Configuration Change: Evaluates whether the vendor required any configuration changes (e.g., enabling or disabling features, modifying settings) to achieve a specific detection. The configuration change score ranges from 0 (no change) to 2 (major change) based on criteria such as complexity, impact and documentation. The lower the configuration change score, the fewer changes were needed by the vendor.
SentinelOne: Once Again at the Front of the Pack
SonicWall customers trust our SentinelOne-powered Capture Client to protect them from the most advanced threats. In this year’s Evaluations, the exact agent, platform and features used to safeguard SonicWall users every day detected and blocked every phase of the Turla attack with zero delays and no unrealistic reconfigurations or bolt-on features.
It outperformed all other vendors in terms of detection and prevention capabilities, as well as analytic quality and configuration changes.
Figure 1 shows exactly what Capture Client (SentinelOne) achieved:
These results highlight how the SentinelOne Singularity platform maps directly to the MITRE ATT&CK framework to deliver unparalleled detection and prevention of advanced threat actor tactics, techniques and procedures (TTPs). SentinelOne Singularity XDR also provides real-world information to defenders without any configuration changes4 – because there are no re-tests in the real world.
By choosing Capture Client (SentinelOne) for your organization, your organization can benefit from:
- Autonomous Protection: Automatically detect and prevent malicious activity in real time across all attack surfaces.
- High-Quality Analytics: Leverage high-quality analytics of threat behavior with specificity, relevance, timeliness, accuracy and completeness.
- Zero Configuration Changes: Enjoy optimal performance without any configuration changes, reducing complexity and overhead
- Real-Time Visibility: Gain comprehensive visibility into the attack sequence and timeline, as well as threat intelligence, indicators of compromise (IOCs), root cause analysis and remediation steps.
- Automation and Orchestration: Automate and orchestrate response and remediation actions with protection that integrates with other security tools and platforms.
The MITRE ATT&CK Evaluation provides transparent and objective data, which allows vendors and users the ability to compare different cybersecurity solutions based on their ability to detect and prevent real-world threats. For those looking to purchase a reliable and effective cybersecurity solution, these results can help determine which one best suits their needs and goals.
For four consecutive years, SonicWall Capture Client has proven its industry-leading detection and protection capabilities in the MITRE ATT&CK Enterprise Evaluations. You can request a demo or a free trial of Capture Client, or compare SonicWall Capture Client (SentinelOne) with other vendors on MITRE Engenuity’s website.