This week, Gab got breached, Ryuk got stronger, and AOL users got phished.
SonicWall in the News
2021 Cyber Security Global Excellence Awards Winners — Globee Business Awards
- SonicWall swept the Globee Business Awards, bringing home the Grand Trophy, along with nine other gold, silver and bronze honors.
- Bill Conner discusses the rise of nation states as primary threat actors and how that changes the conversation around country of origin marketing of cybersecurity products.
- Bill Conner details his three-decade journey in the tech and enterprise sector and his role in helping governments, municipalities and others with the security of the COVID-19 vaccine distribution process.
- A review of the open-source code shows an account under the executive’s name made a mistake that could lead to the kind of breach reported this weekend.
- More than five years after massive cyberattacks left a quarter of a million Ukrainians without electricity, the world’s power grids have become even more vulnerable to hackers.
FBI Director Christopher Wray hinted at the planned federal response to what has become known as the SolarWinds attack, stressing that confronting foreign attacks in cyberspace would be a “long, hard slog.”
- A newly discovered threat group breached India’s power infrastructure, marking the first time a Chinese government-linked cyber actor has emerged as a significant threat against another nation’s critical infrastructure.
- Bitcoin rose nearly 7%, with Citi saying the most popular cryptocurrency was at a “tipping point” and could become the preferred currency for international trade.
- Federal cybersecurity has “regressed” since 2019 due to factors including the lack of centralized cyber leadership at the White House, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) said in a report released Tuesday.
- The transparency group DDoSecrets says it will make the 70 GB of passwords, private posts and more available to researchers, journalists and social scientists.
- Bot attacks are on the rise as businesses move online due to the pandemic.
Beware: AOL phishing email states your account will be closed — Bleeping Computer
- An AOL mail phishing campaign is underway to steal users’ login name and password by warning recipients that their account is about to be closed.
Ryuk ransomware now self-spreads to other Windows LAN devices — Bleeping Computer
- A new Ryuk ransomware variant with worm-like capabilities allowing it to spread to other devices on victims’ local networks has been discovered.
SolarWinds Hack Pits Microsoft Against Dell, IBM Over How Companies Store Data — The New York Times
- Microsoft argues the cloud offers more protection; rivals point to firms’ need to hold and access their information on-premises.
- Bitcoin was headed on Friday for its worst week since March as a rout in global bond markets sent yields flying and sparked a sell-off in riskier assets.
In Case You Missed It
- SonicWall NSa 2700 vs. Fortinet FortiGate 100F — Kayvon Sadeghi
- SonicWall Portfolio Racks Up 10 Industry-recognized Awards — Lindsey Lockhart
- 10 Reasons to Upgrade to the Latest SonicWall Gen 7 TZ Firewall — Srudi Dineshan
- Three SonicWall Executives Named to Annual CRN 2021 Channel Chiefs List — Lindsey Lockhart
- SonicWall Sweeps Six Industry Awards, Including Grand Trophy, at Network Product Guide 2020 IT World Awards — Brook Chelmo