This week, Golroted malware is up to new tricks, SonicWall Hosted Email Security gets its stars, nefarious PDFs and Office files are running wild, and the classic board game ‘Risk’ foreshadows today’s cyber arms race.
- SonicWall identifies malware in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Rich Text Format (.RTF) files, including the first known case of Golroted being spread through trusted file types.
Document-based Malware on the Rise, Businesses Warned – ComputerWeekly
- More malware is hiding in PDF and Office files. ComputerWeekly investigates the growing threat while poring through data from the new 2019 SonicWall Cyber Threat Report.
SonicWall Hosted Email Security Garners 5-Star Rating – SC Magazine
- “If safeguarding your network with the latest protection is something that you aspire to have, then SonicWall’s Hosted Email Security or Email Security Appliance should be on your shortlist of products to consider.”
- SonicWall regional director Helen Jackson outlines the company’s enterprise expansion in the U.K.
Don’t Have a Risk(y) Defense Against Malware, Ransomware – SonicWall Blog
- SonicWall’s Scott Grebe recalls his love for the classic board game ‘Risk’ and how its mechanics sometimes mirror today’s cyber threat landscape.
- In an exploration of SD-WAN technology, SonicWall is mentioned as one of the growing number of vendors to integrate the software-defined capabilities into its firewall offerings.
Cyber Security News
- New Ponemon Institute study reveals that cyberattacks against network infrastructure have successfully taken systems offline during the last two years.
Georgia Tech Cyberattack Exposes Data of 1.3 Million People – Dark Reading
- An attacker infiltrated a central Georgia Tech database and made off with personal information on up to 1.3 million current and former faculty, students, staff and applicants.
Hospital Viruses: Fake Cancerous Nodes in CT Scans, Created by Malware, Trick Radiologists – The Washington Times
- Israeli researchers authored malware to put the spotlight on security weaknesses in medical imaging equipment and networks.
- The city of Albany, New York, announced it was the victim of a ransomware attack, taking down several city services.
- According the 2019 Cyber Security Breaches Survey published by the UK government, the most common type of cyberattacks are phishing attacks, whether through fraudulent emails, or being directed to fake websites.
Apple Card, ASUS Live Update Backdoor, Statistics on Malware Attacks – Security Boulevard
- The 2019 SonicWall Cyber Threat Report makes the news yet again as Security Boulevard sifts through the paper’s most intriguing findings.