This week, the massive SolarWinds breach made headlines around the world, but that doesn’t mean other hackers took a holiday.
SonicWall in the News
- SonicWall was recognized in CRN’s 2020 Edge Computing 100 list for its new SD-Branch and Cloud Edge Secure Access solutions.
- SonicWall President and CEO Bill Conner, who in recent years has advised the U.K. and U.S. governments on how best they can protect critical national assets from cybercrime, said the hackers appeared to be motivated by geopolitical control.
- Cases of cyber ransomware are on the rise during the pandemic, as criminals target hospitals, schools and anyone else who appears vulnerable.
- SonicWall Capture Labs Threat Research team warns that Egregor Ransomware attacks — which steal system information and banking and online account credentials, as well as deploy keyloggers and remote backdoors — will likely intensify.
- Bill’s commentary on the U.S. Treasury hack was featured in an SDxCentral article about recent data breaches.
SonicWall Seeks The Bliss of The Predictable — ChannelPro Network
- ChannelPro Network shared a feature on SonicWall’s SecureFirst Partner Program for its ChannelBeat column.
- The SolarWinds breach potentially gave hackers “God access” or a “God door” to computer systems using the companies OrionIT software, a former White House official has warned.
FireEye, Microsoft create kill switch for SolarWinds backdoor — Bleeping Computer
- Microsoft, FireEye and GoDaddy have collaborated to create a kill switch for the SolarWinds Sunburst backdoor that forces the malware to terminate itself.
Little-Known SolarWinds Gets Scrutiny Over Hack, Stock Sales — Security Week
- The revelation that elite cyber spies spent months exploiting SolarWinds’ software to peer into computer networks has put many of its high-profile customers on high alert — and it’s raising questions about whether company insiders knew of its security vulnerabilities as its biggest investors sold off stock.
- Despite years of warning, the U.S. still has no good answer for the sort of “supply chain” attack that has left Washington stunned.
Malicious Domain in SolarWinds Hack Turned into ‘Killswitch’ — Krebs on Security
- A key malicious domain name used to control computer systems compromised via the months-long breach at SolarWinds was commandeered by security experts and used as a “killswitch” designed to turn the sprawling cybercrime operation against itself.
- House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., on Wednesday called on Congress to undertake “urgent work” to defend critical networks in the wake of a massive cyber espionage attack on the U.S. government.
- FBI says the ransomware group has been calling victims and threatening to send individuals to their homes if they don’t pay the ransom.
- Researchers from IBM Trusteer say they’ve uncovered a massive fraud operation that used a network of mobile device emulators to drain millions of dollars from online bank accounts in just days.
EU unveils revamp of cybersecurity rules days after hack — The Washington Times
- The EU unveiled plans to revamp its dated cybersecurity rules, just days after data on a new coronavirus vaccine was unlawfully accessed in a hack attack on the European Medicines Agency.
- CybelAngel, which sells a digital risk protection platform, reported not only was the sensitive personal information unsecured, but cybercriminals had also accessed those servers and poisoned them with apparent malware.
Microsoft: New malware can infect over 30K Windows PCs a day — Bleeping Computer
- Microsoft has warned of an ongoing campaign pushing Adrozek, a new browser hijacking and credential-stealing malware which, at its peak, was able to take over more than 30,000 devices every day.
Massive Subway UK phishing attack is pushing TrickBot malware — Bleeping Computer
- A massive phishing campaign pretending to be a Subway order confirmation has been spotted distributing the notorious TrickBot malware.
- The group behind MountLocker ransomware are “clearly just warming up,” researchers say.
In Case You Missed It
- Massive Supply-Chain Attack Targets SolarWinds Orion Platform — Brook Chelmo
- SonicWall Sweeps Six Industry Awards, Including Grand Trophy, at Network Product Guide 2020 IT World Awards — Brook Chelmo
- SonicWall Celebrates 20 Years of Delivering World-Class Cybersecurity Solutions in Mexico — Eustolio Villalobos
- SMA100 Series Cloud Management and Reporting 1.0 Delivers Simplicity and Visibility — Agasthiamani Sankaran
- Defending Against Tomorrow’s APTs — Brook Chelmo