Cybersecurity News & Trends
This week, students are going back to school, cybersecurity is going into outer space, and Emotet is going through the roof.
Cybersecurity for the post-COVID new normal of work — Managing the Future of Work podcast
- SonicWall CEO Bill Conner discusses how COVID-19 and the 2020 election are creating unprecedented infrastructure challenges in cybersecurity, and how forces such as the cybersecurity business gap and the need for secure remote access will shape the cybersecurity landscape going forward.
Tackle the Growing Number of IoT Ransomware Threats — TechTarget – IoT Agenda
- Ransomware attacks have increased 20% worldwide in the first half of the year and 105% in the U.S., according to SonicWall’s latest cyberthreat report.
FBI: Thousands of orgs targeted by RDoS extortion campaign — Bleeping Computer
- The FBI has warned U.S. companies that thousands of organizations around the world, from various industry sectors, have been threatened with DDoS attacks within six days unless they pay a Bitcoin ransom.
Inter: a ‘low bar’ kit for Magecart credit card skimmer attacks on e-commerce websites — ZDNet
- Researchers say that any attacker with “a little cash to burn” can join the attack trend.
Website Crashes and Cyberattacks Welcome Students Back to School — The New York Times
- With many districts across the country opting for online learning, a range of technical issues marred the first day of classes.
Phishing adds overlay on official company page to steal logins — Bleeping Computer
- A phishing campaign deployed recently at various businesses uses the company’s home page to disguise the attack and trick potential victims into providing login credentials.
Money from bank hacks rarely gets laundered through cryptocurrencies — ZDNet
- Despite being considered a cybercrime haven, cryptocurrencies play a very small role in laundering funds obtained from bank hacks, the SWIFT financial organization said.
White House issues cybersecurity space policy — SpaceNews
- Space Policy Directive 5 is the first comprehensive government policy on cybersecurity for satellites and related systems, and outlines best practices to protect space systems from hacking and other cyber threats.
U.S. Department of Defense discloses critical and high severity bugs — Bleeping Computer
- The U.S. Department of Defense has disclosed details about four security vulnerabilities on its infrastructure. Two of them have a high severity rating, while the other two received a critical score.
France, Japan, New Zealand warn of sudden spike in Emotet attacks — ZDNet
- Emotet activity has ramped up to new levels in September 2020, alarming some cybersecurity agencies.
In Case You Missed It
- ‘3 & Free’ Promotion: How to Upgrade Your SonicWall Firewall for Free — Robert (Bob) VanKirk
- New SonicWall Solutions: Engineered for the New Normal — Atul Dhablania
- Your Email DLP Just Got Better and More Secure — Vishnu Chandra Pandey
- All it Takes is One Click! — Vishnu Chandra Pandey
- Not Safe for Work — Amber Wolff