As we inch toward the final stretch of the 2018 calendar, we’re gaining a better sense of the complete cyber threat landscape for the year.
SonicWall Capture Labs threat researchers continue to monitor year-to-date increases for global malware, ransomware, TLS/SSL encrypted attacks and intrusion attempts. In fact, year-to-date attacks are up at least 50 percent in every category compared to 2017.
Globally, the SonicWall Capture Threat Network, which includes more than 1 million sensors across the world, recorded the following 2018 year-to-date attack data through August 2018:
- 7.8 billion malware attacks (70 percent increase from 2017)
- 2.6 trillion intrusion attempts (54 percent increase)
- 238.9 million ransomware attacks (108 percent increase)
- 1.8 million encrypted threats (73 percent increase)
In August 2018 alone, the average SonicWall customer faced:
- 2,075 malware attacks (1 percent decrease from July 2017)
- 817,512 intrusion attempts (28 percent increase)
- 55 ransomware attacks (41 percent decrease)
- 49.6 encrypted threats (45 percent decrease)
- 12.2 phishing attacks each day (37 percent decrease)
SonicWall Capture Security Center
SonicWall cyber threat intelligence is available in the SonicWall Security Center, which provides a graphical view of the worldwide attacks over the last 24 hours, countries being attacked and geographic attack origins. This view illustrates the pace and speed of the cyber arms race.
The resource provides actionable cyber threat intelligence to help organizations identify the types of attacks they need to be concerned about so they can design and test their security posture ensure their networks, data, applications and customers are properly protected.
Dive into the latest cybersecurity trends and threat intelligence from SonicWall Capture Labs. The mid-year update to the 2018 SonicWall Cyber Threat Report explores how quickly the cyber threat landscape has evolved in just a few months.