This week, SonicWall is looking for Beta Testers for the SonicWall Community, Ransomware-as-a-Service is put under the spotlight, and Disney+ accounts are hacked only hours after going live.
SonicWall Leads Series a Round Funding in Zero-Trust Security Provider Perimeter 81 – SonicWall Press Release
- SonicWall has signed a commercial agreement for the development of joint solutions with Perimeter 81. This agreement means that we are able to provide a wide range of businesses, from SMBs to Fortune 500s and governments, with SonicWall’s award-winning Capture Cloud Platform and real-time breach detection and prevention solutions, while also allowing them to adopt a zero-trust security architecture that delivers tremendous efficacy in securing the modern organization.
Call for Beta Testers – The SonicWall Community
- SonicWall is delighted to announce that it will be launching the SonicWall Community in 2020. The community will be a place where our customers, partners and product experts can collaborate to share knowledge, experiences, resources and opinions. Do register your interest if you are want to be a beta tester for our pilot community.
The CyberWire Daily Podcast – The Cyberwire
- The CyberWire Daily Podcast rounds up the cybersecurity news each day and SonicWall CEO Bill Conner makes an appearance on Thursday 21st of November, discussing the Q3 threat intelligence data from SonicWall Capture Labs.
Ransomware-as-a-Service: SaaS for Cyber Criminals – SC Magazine (UK)
- Ransomware’s simplicity and lucrativeness as a form of cyberattack has led to a growth in what is known as Ransomware-as-a-Service – a user-friendly version of ransomware that can easily be deployed with minimal technical knowledge. SonicWall CEO Bill Conner explains how it works, why it is so popular, and how to fight it in SC Magazine.
- A researcher has found a database containing over a billion records on an easily accessed, unsecured server. The data does not contain passwords or financial information, but does contain phone numbers, social profiles, and work histories of the huge number of those affected.
- Hackers hijacked Disney+ accounts and put them up for sale within hours of the service launching this week. Prices for the details of account vary from $3 to $11 on online forums, in comparison to a legitimate subscription that costs a user $7 a month.
WhatsApp Remote Code Execution Triggered by Videos – Threat Post
- A newly discovered vulnerability in WhatsApp was discovered and quietly patched this week. The flaw would allow an attacker to target a user simply by sending them an MP4 file by WhatsApp. There is no evidence that the vulnerability had been exploited in the wild before the patch was sent out.
Attacks on Healthcare Jump 60% in 2019 – so Far – Dark Reading
- A new report has named the healthcare system as the seventh-most targeted industry by malware, but also an industry that is still dragging its heels when it comes to preparedness, with a large number of legacy hardware and software systems still in use.
- The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has released cybersecurity guidance for financial advisory firms. The simple message of this notice is that no firm is too small to have cybersecurity protections in place, and no firm should be so confident in their systems that they do not regularly test them.
- Perhaps it was only a matter of time, but the popular culture world of influencers has finally caught up with the usually more scientific world of cybersecurity. Eagle-eyed watchers of social-media have noticed an uptick in follower-rich cybersecurity Twitter accounts running individualized adverts. Other popular accounts have since come out and denounced accepting payments for adverts as unethical in the world of cybersecurity.
In Case You Missed It
- Meeting a Russian Ransomware Cell – Brook Chelmo
- 10 Reasons to Upgrade to the Newest SonicWall TZ Firewall – Brook Chelmo
- SonicWall: Encrypted Attacks, IoT Malware Surge as Global Malware Volume Dips – Geoff Blaine
- How to Protect Multi-Cloud Environments with a Virtual Firewall – Tiju Cherian
- 2019 North America Roadshow Series: SonicWall Showcases Complete Cybersecurity Portfolio, Capture Cloud Platform – David Bankemper
- What is Your Disaster Recovery Plan? 5 Core Practices to Ensure Business Continuity – Richard Chio