This week, SonicWall CEO Bill Conner is recognized with a Top Executive accolade from CRN, it’s a tough week for major global retailers impacted by data breaches and cybersecurity concerns aboard the International Space Station.
- SonicWall CEO Bill Conner is listed as one of the 25 Most Innovative Executives, “always two steps ahead of the competition,” part of CRN’s Top 100 Executives Of 2019 list.
Ransomware Today: Everything You Need to Know to Protect Your Business – Infoblox Threattalk (podcast)
- Infoblox’s podcast discusses the evolving rate of ransomware attacks and what organizations need to do to decrease the likelihood of a ransomware attack, referring to the 2019 Sonicwall Cyber Threat Report data that ransomware attacks have grown per customer at a rate of 11% year on year.
- With the NSA launching the Cybersecurity Directorate in October, Law.com argue that we are entering an era of more aggressive cybersecurity, quoting SonicWall CEO Bill Conner on the need for public and private sectors to share data.
- The Seattle woman accused of a massive hack of personal and financial data from Capital One Financial Corp. threatened to shoot up an unnamed California social media company, according to court records.
Data Breach Can Cost About $3.2 Million. So What Has Your Business Done to Protect Important Data? – The Philadelphia Inquirer
- Two recent studies have found that over half of small and medium-sized companies are not prepared for a cyberattack, despite the cost of a data breach having risen 12% over the last five years and now averaging $3.92 million per business.
- As Louisiana was declaring a cybersecurity state of emergency, Baltimore was approving $10 million in spending to recover from its own nearly month-long ransomware related IT outage. Reacting to these and other incidents, several US government departments, CISA, MS-ISAC, NGA & NASCIO, have issued a joint statement for state, local, territorial and tribal government partners recommending immediate action to safeguard against ransomware attacks.
- Some personal information such as first and last name, date of birth, gender, email address, and encrypted password, as well as data related to beauty preferences may have been exposed.
- Disinformation defense, open source security, zero-knowledge proofs, homomorphic encryption and blockchain security – five experimental cybersecurity trends Tech Republic speculate are increasingly becoming more important.
- A new, Mirai based, Internet of Things botnet has been found hiding online, launching itself from the Tor network in an effort to prevent takedowns. While this is not the first time that malware has attempted to anonymize itself and become more difficult to combat by using Tor, some experts think this may be a “possible precedent” setting case.
Cybersecurity test on ISS – Phys.org
- Space, the cybersecurity frontier. Experiments are being carried out to improve cybersecurity on the International Space Station.
In Case You Missed It
- Inside the Capital One Data Breach: What Went Wrong – Agasthiamani Sankaran
- Black Hat USA 2019: SonicWall Heads to Vegas – Geoff Blaine
- Wind River VxWorks and URGENT/11: Patch Now – John Gmuender
- Mid-Year Update: 2019 SonicWall Cyber Threat Report – Geoff Blaine
- 5 Best Practices for Fast, Secure Wi-Fi on K-12 Campuses – Srudi Dineshan