This week, vote for SonicWall in 2019 CRN Channel Madness, Facebook suffers an outage worldwide, and one U.S. County pays a $400,000 ransom.
- CRN’s fifth annual Channel Madness Tournament of Chiefs pits some of the channel’s best-known executives against in each other. Vote for HoJin Kim now!
- SonicWall’s Debasish Mukherjee is quoted talking about the release of new SonicWall products and the expansion possibilities for SonicWall in the Indian market.
SonicWall Now a California Multiple Award Schedule (CMAS) Vendor – SonicWall Blog
- Being a CMAS vendor allows SonicWall to support K-12 education through the E-rate program, a Federal funding program that allows technology products and services to be purchased by school districts and libraries.
Cyber Security News
Hackers Use Slack to Hide Malware Communications – CSO Online
- Cyberattackers have been using a previously undocumented backdoor program to launch an attack on users of Slack. A fully patched computer will prevent the attack but in cases where the exploit runs successfully it triggers a damaging multi-stage infection.
- On the 30th anniversary of its launch, the inventor of the world wide web called out three major “sources of dysfunction” affecting it; deliberate malicious intent, system design and the unintended negative consequences of benevolent design.
- A technical error by Facebook led to a worldwide outage that affected Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram. The New York Times looks at how the more tightly woven a computer network becomes, the more likely it is that a small problem can grow into a large one.
- Three U.S. colleges recently suffered successful ransomware attacks. The hackers were able to fool college staff members into handing over passwords and then took control of databases that housed student applicant information.
- Sportswear brand FILA are the latest company to suffer from a damaging malware infection with an attack similar to Magecart infecting card payments on their website.
- Two US senators have requested the US Senate Sergeant at Arms to provide each senator with both annual statistics about cyberattacks and a commitment to disclosing breaches within five days of discovery.
- Officials in Jackson County, Georgia, negotiated with cybercriminals to pay a $400,000 ransom after being successfully infected with ransomware.
In Case You Missed It
- Wireless Security, Wi-Fi Management Hot Topics at RSA Conference 2019 – Srudi Dineshan
- New Spoiler Side-Channel Attack Threatens Processors, Mitigated by SonicWall RTDMI – Brook Chelmo
- Eight New Ways the SonicWall Capture Cloud Platform Protects Businesses – Bill Conner
- Modern SaaS Security: How to Secure Email, Data, User Access in the Age of Cloud Apps – Ganesh Umapathy
- Easier Wi-Fi Planning, Security & Management from the Cloud – Srudi Dineshan
- Advanced Endpoint Detection & Response (EDR) Comes to Capture Client 2.0 – Brook Chelmo