Each week, SonicWall collects the cyber security industry’s most compelling, trending and important interviews, media and news stories — just for you.
- SonicWall CEO Bill Conner predicts that large tech companies and social media giants will look to mergers and acquisitions (M&A) to address the shortage of available cyber security talent and stave off further punishment and damages caused by breaches and other cyber security incidents.
- Lawrence Pingree offers his perspective on the most recent Facebook breach revelations.
Cyber Security News
Apple CEO Condemns ‘Data-Industrial Complex’ – The Wall Street Journal
- Apple CEO Tim Cook is calling for new digital privacy laws in the United States to be drawn up, warning that the collection of huge amounts of private and everyday information is being “weaponized against us with military efficiency.”
EU Takes Step Toward Cyberattack Sanctions – Dark Reading
- The European Union has approved a proposal to place further sanctions on nations proven to have carried out a cyberattack.
Cathay Pacific Says Data of 9.4 Million Passengers Stolen in Hack – The Telegraph (UK)
- Hong Kong airline Cathay Pacific has suffered a breach affecting up to 9.4 million passengers, including over three quarters of a million passport numbers.
- Super Micro is agreeing to review their hardware in the wake of reports that the Chinese authorities are placing spying chips in their hardware. They deny all the allegations.
Who Is Agent Tesla? – Krebs on Security
- Openly available for commercial license, Agent Tesla is classified by many as password-stealing malware. Krebs on Security investigates the not-so-well-hidden identity of Agent Tesla’s creator following a 100 percent usage increase of the program in August 2018.
Yahoo to Pay $50M, Other Costs for Massive Security Breach – Associated Press
- The fallout from the biggest security breach of all time looks to be finally drawing to a close.
- Magecart, the malware behind the Ticketmaster and British Airways breaches, continues to be updated and reconfigured, now targeting unpatched vulnerabilities in third-party plugins used in the Magento e-commerce platform.
In Case You Missed It
- Bypassing Government Security Controls with Customized Malware – Brook Chelmo
- 4 Ways SonicWall & ConnectWise Simplify Security Management for MSPs – Ken Dang
- The libssh Vulnerability: What’s at Risk & How SonicWall Helps Prevent It – Rob Krug
- SonicWall Extends Next-Generation Firewalls to Public Cloud Deployments, Including AWS and Azure – Srudi Dineshan
- 3 Elements of a Successful Managed Security Services (MSS) Bundle – Joe Velderman
- September 2018 Cyber Threat Data: Ransomware Threats Double Monthly, Encrypted Threats Still Growing – John Lynch